Companies have a responsibility to respect human rights. Essential to meeting this responsibility, is to ensure that companies do not infringe on fundamental human rights. Companies through their activities and relationships can have an impact on a large spectrum of human rights such as the right to life, liberty and security, right to an adequate standard of living, such as the right to water and housing, women’s rights, or the right to non-discrimination. As such, it is crucial for companies to understand these potential risks, to develop a human rights strategy and integrate human rights into their existing management systems.
CIG is committed to supporting companies in meeting their responsibility to respect human rights. This is done through working together with companies in order for them to understand the potential human rights risks, particularly those salient human rights issues within their business as well as how human rights can become embedded into company practices. Central to this, is also the engagement of potentially affected individuals and communities in order to best understand their issues and concerns. In particular, the importance of understanding and identifying the rights and needs of groups who are particularly vulnerable to human rights impacts linked to business practices.
Our team has been actively researching, training and working within the area of business and human rights as well as leading in integrating human rights into existing impact assessment methodologies. Our approach and tools have been honed through a partnership with the Danish Institute for Human Rights.
CIG services include:
- Gap analysis of corporate policies and procedures to ensure coverage of human rights and conformance with the United Nations Guiding Principles on Business and Human Rights
- Integration of human rights into core business functions as well as across business units
- Human Rights Due Diligence at the corporate and project levels in order to identify potential and/or actual human rights impacts
- Human rights project screening and risk assessments
- Integrating human rights into existing company processes such as Environmental and Social Impact Assessment
- Human Rights Impact Assessment
- Stakeholder engagement, including development of Stakeholder Management Plans, in order to ensure engagement of affected rights-holders
- Development of tools and guidance for ongoing monitoring and reporting
- Development of operational-level Grievance Mechanisms
- Tailored training and capacity-building.
Find out more about our experience in Human Rights here.
For more information please contact Jacqueline Tedaldi at firstname.lastname@example.org